Monday, October 30, 2006

Another Necktie Log Cabin Block

necktie log cabin
I made another mock log cabin block out of fabric from neckties. Not a great photo, but hopefully you can get an idea. This one is 19 inches square. Each of my blocks has a coordinating color scheme and some sort of theme. This one is burgundy and green (yellow green and blue green), and the focal prints are birds-and-trees oriented.

Originally I was going to make pillows, until I saw this quilt in a Japanese craft book. Wow.
Mock log cabin quilt

Now my plan is to take several blocks and stitch them together without any sashes or borders. The fabrics are stitched directly onto Warm and Natural cotton batting (a stitch and flip method). I have the 19 inch blocks, but also some 23 inch ones for the outer edge. If the completed quilt is as nice as I hope it's going to be, I'll submit it to the San Diego Quilt Show next year, since it's quite unique.

Here's some detail of the block. The tree:
detail, tree
It's funny how what were once really ugly ties make great fabrics in my projects.

And detail of the blue birds on the burgundy background. Note the splash of Pucci-like color to add a spark of lightness, and the label for fun (and also in a bird theme!)
detail, birds

14 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Wow, Barb - I really love the colors and the patterns of the ties. I can't wait to see the finished product!!

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These patterns are exquisite - all different, yet they all seem to tie together. Ha. Kill me now.

Anyway, don't use the word 'hope' when describing your effort. You know that it'll be a success, just as we do!

9:16 PM  
Blogger kt said...

Lovely, as are all your tie-crafts.

My box of ties is whimpering to me...

9:28 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Hi Barb,
what a wonderful project!
You're so talented in bringing colors and patterns together, Kudos!

10:38 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Love how you inclused the rooster tag!

Did you see my "pay it forward"/ Art MEME?

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

using neckties for log cabin is a stroke a genuis!!!! This is truly beautiful , Barb!

9:53 AM  
Blogger deb said...

simply gorgeous.

11:29 AM  
Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

Wow this is super amazing beautiful!

11:29 AM  
Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Very cool! What a wonderful way to recycle. Bravo!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really frickin cool, barb. LOVE it.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, this is SO pretty! I absolutely love the colors. The ties give it so much warmth and life.

5:02 PM  
Blogger beki said...

Wow, that looks awesome!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Teri M. said...

Ooo, very cool.
(check me out... I can't believe I'm so far behind!!)

8:07 PM  
Blogger calamity kim said...

did you ever finish the quilt? I just got a bin full of ties from a friend and am gonna start making handbags with them soon! I love your Blog with ties- very inspiring!

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home