Monday, April 23, 2007

Sewing with Neckties

I hit the mother lode today, finding this article about different way to recycle neckties in sewing projects, from Smart Sewing Magazine, 1955.

Necktie border on a blanket
I've seen necktie quilts where the points are off the edge as 'prairie points', but never as an interior border like this.
It would be a great way to salvage a worn blanket.

Or how about this braided rug?!
Braided Neckties Rug, part one
Necktie rug, part two

I love this idea of lining a coat.
Coat lining and sash from neckties

The cap is a little scary, but the patchwork is a handsome way to use small scraps.
Cap and Glasses Case from neckties

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Groovy! Those are some mighty wide ties. :)

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that lining a coat idea. I'm just waiting for my tea towel to arrive so I can start working on my purse for the purse project :)

2:18 AM  
Blogger Vallen said...

I have ties, I don't know why. Now you've given me ideas how to use them. - the edging on the blanket is my favorite but if I could get away with wearing that little hat, by golly, I'd want to make that first.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the blanket idea!! Cool :)

10:13 AM  
Blogger Marti said...

Too funny. That tie is as wide as that lady's thigh - take a dozen of those things and you could practically slipcover a couch.

6:29 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

I don't think the tie is that wide--I think they opened it up and took the inside out, so it's just the thin fabric like a scarf would be.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Bow Ties said...

My dad will get mad if he found out that some of his neckties is been used to make a quilt.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home